Frequently Asked Questions


 What are the Town's office hours?

Monday - Thursday:  8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M and Friday:  8:00 A.M. - Noon
The Town is closed for the following holidays as approved by the Town Board:
    New Year's Day
    Memorial Day
    Independence Day
    Labor Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    The day after Thanksgiving Day
    Christmas Eve
    Christmas Day

Election Day hours are 7:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.
The final opportunity to vote in the clerks office is the Friday before Election Day when hours are from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

 When are trash and recyclables picked up in my neighborhood?

Generally, trash and recyclables are picked up on Tuesday north of Old Sauk Road, Wednesday, South of Old Sauk Road and North of Valley View Road, Thursday south of Valley View Road.  


2022 Trash & Recycling Calendars




 (North of Old Sauk Rd.)




 (South of Old Sauk Rd, North of Valley View Rd.)




 (South of Valley View Rd.)



 Where do I dispose of materials not picked up by the garbage hauler?

There are several websites that address what to do with materials not accepted by the garbage hauler or banned from landfill sites, Dane County Clean Sweep or Dane County Recycling Locations websites are good county-wide resources.  A state-wide resource would be the Wisconsin DNR Recycling page.

As a general rule, check with locations that retail the product you are recycling since they will have the best information on where to dispose of the products they are selling.


 Culvert Maintenance & Replacement Information

All private driveway culverts should periodically be cleaned to maintain open culvert cross-section to avoid flooding along the ditch and road right-of-way. Culverts should be replaced as necessary to maintain culvert functionality. This is the responsibility of the property owner.

In the event of a reconstruction road project that causes driveways or culverts to be disturbed and/or the addition of a culvert, replacement will be the responsibility of the Town.

For more information refer to Town Ordinance Chapter 8.01 HERE.


 Do I need a permit to burn leaves or to do a prescribed burn?

No burn permit is needed, but it is a good idea to know and understand what can be burned and when.   Also, be alert to times when conditions are deemed too hazardous for burns and burn bans are in place or clean air action days have been declared. 

  • Wind speed should be below 15 MPH.
  • Burns should occur on weekdays that are not holidays.
    • Dry brush can be burned between 8:00 AM and sunset.
    • Dry leaves can be burned between 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM - to be fully extinguished at by 3:30 PM.
    • Leaf burning is prohibited on Saturdays (except as noted), Sundays, and the following federal holidays as observed: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Leaf burning on Saturdays is limited to the first and third Saturdays in October, November and December.

    • Fall Saturdays leaf burning is allowed:  first and third Saturdays in October, November and December.
  • Only dry material may be burned.  Grass clippings are prohibited as are smoldering damp leaf piles.
  • The homeowner accepts liability if a fire escapes from their burn area and will be responsible for all costs incurred from containment to damages.
  • The Ordinance has much more information and covers additional categories including leaf burning, brush piles, prescribed burns, personal campfires or fire pits, burn barrels, outdoor wood-fired furnaces and group assembly bonfires and/or campfires.

 Renewal of License Plates

Wisconsin law allows a town, village, city or county to collect an annual municipal or county vehicle registration fee (wheel tax) in addition to the regular annual registration fee paid for a vehicle. The fee applies to vehicles kept​ in the municipality or county with:

  • Automobile registration
  • Truck registration at 8,000 lbs. or less (except dual purpose farm) 

​This includes most special license plates with automobile or truck registration.* State law does not specify the amount of the wheel tax. However, the municipality or county must use all revenue from the wheel tax for transportation related purposes.

When you renew your License Plate for your vehicles, be sure to check that the municipality listed as to where your vehicle is kept, indicates the “Town of Middleton.”

 How do I reach the Town Assessor?

The Town contracts with Paul Musser to do appraisals of Town properties for assessment purposes. 

Paul Musser can be reached by cell phone at (608) 712-0236 or by email at  Paul covers several jurisdictions in our area, and as a result may not get back to you immediately, but generally does respond within a business day or two. 

When calling Paul, leave your name, contact phone number, property address (or parcel number you are calling about), and a brief comment on what your concern is.  Paul will return your call and if you are not available, let you know that he called and may be able to answer your question by voice mail if he is aware of your concern.


 Private well questions?

Many wells support more than one household in the town.  In that case you will want to conact the well captain. 

If you have a single-home well, you are solely responsible for testing and maintenance of the well.

Well water testing is done by Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC). 

More information can be found at the PHMDC website  or by calling (608) 242-6515. 


Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene, UW-Madison ( by calling (800)442-4618

The Town has a brochure that covers many of the frequently asked questions about private wells.  You can also view a 'Private Well FAQ' brochure the Town compiled from other sources.

Information in this brochure was sourced from Public Health Madison & Dane County website. 


 Septic system questions?

Most Town residents have private Septic Systems.  These are maintained by the homeowner. 

If you are new to septic systems, a brochure has been created to help you understand how septic systems work and what materials that should NOT be placed into the systems.  Please review the 'New to Septic Systems' brochure for information that the Town compiled from other sources.

If you simply have questions about septic systems, there is a Frequently Asked Questions brochure that may help with inspection schedules (every three years for Dane County), warning signs for a failing systems, landscaping questions and other general information.  Please review the 'Septic System FAQ' brochure for information that the Town compiled from other sources.

Information in these brochures was sourced from a Wisconsin Onsite Waste Disposal Association Brochure